Traffic Tip: Police won't respond to minor crashes

By David Brogger
March 24, 2013 at 10:05 p.m.
Updated March 24, 2013 at 10:25 p.m.

The Victoria Police Department will begin a new policy regarding how motor vehicle crashes are handled.

Beginning April 6, officers will no longer respond to a motor vehicle crash in which there are no injuries and where the vehicles involved are able to be driven away from the scene (minor crashes). Officers will still respond if there is a criminal act involved such as a hit and run or an intoxicated driver.

This change is needed in an effort to be more effective and efficient with the resources our department currently has. This will allow officers to respond to higher priority calls.

Between Monday and April 5, officers will respond to all crashes, including minor crashes, and begin issuing a Texas Department of Transportation form CR-2, which is commonly referred to by police as a "blue form," to the parties involved in the crash.

The parties involved in the crash are responsible for completing the form and submitting it to TxDOT themselves. There are specific instructions on the back of the form explaining the process.

On April 6, parties involved in a minor crash will be instructed by the Victoria Police Department Telecommunications Center to exchange information and on how to access the TxDOT form CR-2 online. The CR-2 form would then be obtained by the people involved in the motor vehicle crash by downloading it from The parties involved would then be responsible for completing and submitting the form.

The required information listed below should be obtained in order to complete the blue form:

  1. Block number and street or intersecting street and block number. Speed limit.
  2. Other vehicle information (section heading on blue form)

Make, model and year of vehicle

License plate number and state

VIN number - on driver's side of dashboard, look through windshield from outside looking in

  1. Other driver information (section heading on blue form)

Name, address, phone number, driver's license number and state

  1. Insurance information

Insurance company name and address (not agent name)

Claim phone number and/or agent phone number

The Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit invites residents to inform us of any traffic issues that you observe. The easiest way to do this is go to our website,, then go to the VPD Customer Service Request tab in the center of the page and follow the directions.

If you have a traffic law question, contact Senior Police Officer David Brogger, Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit, at 361-485-3700.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia