Traffic Tip: If you allow unlicensed child to drive, you could get a ticket

By David Brogger
March 31, 2013 at 8:05 p.m.
Updated March 31, 2013 at 11:01 p.m.

This week's traffic tip is in regards to allowing an unauthorized person to drive.

So why this specific code and how does it relate to driving in Victoria?

Did you know that if you allow your unlicensed child (under 18 years of age) to drive an automobile on a public roadway, you and your unlicensed child could receive a citation?

It's true.

Let me give you a scenario. Your kid, Johnny, who you know does not have a driver's license, wants to get a soda from the store. You don't feel like taking Johnny to the store. You tell Johnny, "Go ahead, take the car to the store, but you come right back!"

Johnny, being really thirsty, speeds off - only to get stopped by the police. Guess who gets a ticket? Johnny, for speeding and no valid driver's license, and you, for allowing Johnny to drive.

So until your child has a valid driver's license, it is never a good idea to allow him or her to drive, even to the store for a soda.

The Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit invites citizens to inform us of any traffic issues that you observe. The easiest way to do this is go to our website,, then go to the VPD customer service request tab in the center of the page and follow the directions.

If you have a traffic law question, contact Senior Police Officer David Brogger, Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit, at 361-485-3700.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia