Traffic Tip: Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in certain places

By David Brogger
May 19, 2013 at 12:19 a.m.

According to the Texas Transportation Code, it is illegal to stop, stand or park on a sidewalk, on a crosswalk, in an intersection, on a railroad track or in front of a public or private driveway, among a few other places.

Why this specific code and how does it relate to driving in Victoria?

It has been brought to my attention more than once that there is a major traffic problem in the area of Zac Lentz Parkway and North Main Street. The peak times for the problems are in the mornings before school starts and in the afternoons when school lets out.

One complaint is that vehicles traveling west on the feeder road of Zac Lentz Parkway in front of Stripes are stopping for the light at Main Street. In doing so, they are stopping on the railroad tracks, blocking the intersection of Nursery Drive or blocking the entrance/exit of Stripes, all of which are illegal.

Another complaint is that vehicles traveling south, attempting to come off Nursery Drive are cutting between the stopped cross traffic in a desperate attempt to get onto the feeder road so they can ultimately get onto North Main Street. These vehicles are at times having to stop in the middle of the roadway, blocking several lanes of traffic on the feeder road or, again, stopping on the railroad tracks.

One way to help solve this problem is for everyone to slow down a bit, be more patient, be more courteous and obey the laws. This may mean either leaving earlier or later to arrive at your destination, thus avoiding the "peak times" for the problems. There really are no alternate routes to avoid the area, so we must all work together to make it as safe as possible.

The Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit invites residents to tell us about any traffic issues that you observe. The easiest way to do this is go to, click on the VPD Customer Service Request tab in the center of the page and follow the directions.

If you have a traffic law question, contact Senior Police Officer David Brogger, Victoria Po lice Department Traffic Safety Unit, 361-485-3700.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia