Victoria Christian School evacuated due to gas smell

Sonny Long

May 20, 2013 at 12:20 a.m.

About 30 students and 10 staff members were evacuated from Victoria Christian School for about an hour Monday morning after the smell of gas was detected in the building.

"We thought it was the pilot light on the stove, but the fire department asked us to evacuate the building as a precaution," said school administrator Catherine Key.

The gas company also responded and checked all the gas lines in the one-building school that has more than 100 pre-kindergarten and elementary students enrolled.

The fire department aired out the building to clear the gas smell.

"Everything checked out OK. It turned out, it was the pilot light on the stove," Key said. "We've taken measures to prevent that from happening again."

The school, 601 E. Colorado St., was evacuated about 7:45 a.m., and students and staff returned at 8:50 a.m.

Streets around the school were closed until the situation was resolved.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia