Traffic Tip: You need to enter, exit highway close to posted speed

By David Brogger
May 26, 2013 at 12:26 a.m.

This week's traffic tip deals with merging and exiting highways using entrance/exit ramps.

Why this specific code and how does it relate to driving in Victoria?

I can't speak for every situation, but the problem I have seen locally with these types of situations, especially merging onto the highway, is that many drivers attempt to merge at a much lower speed than the maximum posted. For example, merging at 50 mph in a 70 mph zone.

Even though this would not be illegal if there is no posted minimum speed, it is very dangerous because of the closing speeds of the vehicles already on the highway.

Most off ramps aren't a problem because they have yield signs for the traffic already on the service / feeder road.

The Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit invites citizens to inform us of any traffic issues that you observe. The easiest way to do this is go to our website,, then go to the VPD Customer Service Request tab in the center of the page and follow the directions.

If you have a traffic law question, contact Senior Police Officer David Brogger, Victoria Po lice Department Traffic Safety Unit, 361-485-3700.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia