Crossroads Veterans Day events
Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:06 a.m.
The following is a list of Veterans Day events throughout the Crossroads.
• VICTORIA - Crain Elementary School chili cook-off and luncheon, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday. Event includes a staff cook-off to feed both the staff and veterans at the school, 2706 N. Azalea St.
• VICTORIA - Mission Valley Elementary School program with patriotic songs, 1:30 p.m. Friday at the school, 12063 Farm-to-Market Road 236.
• VICTORIA - Honors at the Victoria East High School football game. Veterans will gather at Liberty Academy, 1110 Sam Houston Drive, starting at 6:30 p.m. Friday. Shortly before the game begins they will be invited to go onto the field for a short presentation.
VICTORIA - Cemetery flag ceremony, 7:30 a.m. Monday hosted by the Victoria County Veterans Council, on the steps of the Victoria County Courthouse, 115 N. Bridge St., includes a blessing of the flags, reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance and singing of the national anthem. Following the event, teams of veterans will post flags at 32 cemeteries throughout Victoria County. • VICTORIA - Veterans Day parade, 10 a.m. Monday, sponsored by the Victoria County Veterans Council. The parade travels down Main Street, turns onto Church Street and onto Bridge Street before ending at the Victoria County Courthouse. A ceremony including patriotic songs, the laying of memorial wreaths and speeches will follow on the courthouse steps, 115 N. Bridge St. Guest speaker will be Lazaro O. Camarillo III, with the United Vietnam Veterans of Texas.
• VICTORIA - Free veterans' lunch, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday, sponsored by Warriors Weekend at the VFW Hall, 2001 Lova Drive. Free to all veterans and their spouses.
• PORT LAVACA - Salute to Veterans, 8:30-10:30 a.m. Friday, Calhoun County High School auditorium, 201 Sandcrab Blvd., coordinated by Jacque Rudd, graphic design and video technology teacher at Calhoun High School, and her students. The theme this year is "Boys of Seadrift." The veterans will be escorted to their seats by members of the high school's Anchor Club. Rudd will speak about the history of the veterans since World War II. Student singers and cloggers will provide entertainment.
• PORT LAVACA - Veterans Day Parade, 10 a.m. Saturday, begins at Sandcrab Stadium, 201 Sandcrab Blvd., and ends at the Bayfront Peninsula. A complimentary lunch for veterans and their families follows at the American GI Forum at 2738 W. Main St.
• CUERO - Local veterans organizations will host a Veterans Day ceremony at the veterans' monument on the DeWitt County Courthouse lawn at 10 a.m. Monday. The featured speaker will be County Judge Daryl Fowler.
• CUERO - A Veterans Day ceremony at Gobbler Stadium at Cuero High School at 9 a.m. Monday. The ceremony will be student run. The public is invited.
• GOLIAD - A Veterans Day ceremony, 10 a.m. Monday at the courthouse square in downtown Goliad. Lunch will be served at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church parish hall, 238 N. Commercial St. The event is free and open to the public. It celebrates veterans and current military servicemen or women.
• EDNA - Veterans Day celebration dinner, 5 p.m. Thursday, Brackenridge Main Event Center in Edna; a stew dinner will be served for all military and their friends and family. A special ceremony with guest speaker, retired Master Sgt. Kristi Rogers, of the U.S. Air Force, will begin at 6 p.m. The Victoria Community Band will also perform. Fireworks will follow the celebration.
• GANADO - Veterans Day field of honor will be erected with American flags dedicated to military servicemen and women. Taps will be played 8 p.m. Monday.
• HALLETTSVILLE - The Hallettsville school district will host a Veterans Day program at 9:30 a.m. Monday in the Hallettsville High School gymnasium.
• HALLETTSVILLE - Sacred Heart Catholic School will host a Veterans Day program at 8:05 a.m. Monday in the gymnasium. Marine Corps veteran Claude Vargo will be the guest speaker. A tank commander during the Vietnam War and the recipient of three Purple Hearts, Vargo has family in Lavaca County. The public, especially veterans, are invited to attend.
• SHINER - A Veterans Day program will be at 2:55 p.m. Monday at Shiner High School.
• REFUGIO - Veterans Day Breakfast, 8-9 a.m. Monday, VFW Post 6290, 1002 Victoria Road, hosted by the Refugio Chamber of Commerce. Speakers will be Lenny Anzaldua, city councilman, Richard Sanchez, Refugio County's veterans service officer, and Cpt. Rene Coronado, U.S. Army. The breakfast is sponsored by Henry's Mexican Food.
• AUSTWELL - Veterans Day Austwell-Tivoli School District, open to the public, 2 p.m. Monday, 207 Red Fish St. An honor guard from VFW Post 6290 will post colors. Speaker is Principal Stephen Maldonado; kindergarten through sixth grade will perform four patriotic songs.