Goliad's season ends in 36-12 loss to McGregor

Keldy  Ortiz

Nov. 23, 2013 at 5:23 a.m.

CEDAR CREEK - Senior Trey Moya has played sports with Dalton Sturm and his fellow Goliad teammates since he was in the first grade.

Friday, however, was the last time they would step on the football field together as a team.

The Tigers (7-5) suffered a 36-12 defeat to McGregor (11-1) at Bastrop Memorial Stadium.

McGregor will face Hallettsville, who defeated Jourdanton 51-6 on Friday night, in a Class 2A, Division I regional playoff game next week.

Though disappointed about Friday's results, Moya was glad to help the Tigers get to the area round Friday. Last week, the Tigers nailed their first postseason victory since 1997, beating Santa Rosa 23-13 in the bi-district round.

"We put Goliad back on the map," Moya said. "To play with all these guys, it's great."

Moya started the first half on a slow start. He only had two carries for 15 yards.

The second half was a different story.

On the second play of the third quarter, Moya ran 66 yards to put the Tigers at the Bulldogs' 7-yard line. However, four plays later, the Tigers were unable to score.

"They were a great team," Moya said about the Bulldogs. "We were a great team, too. We had little mistakes that we could have made up for that we should have. It should have been a close game. But, things happen."

Tigers coach John Mares was proud of his team for getting up to this point. Bundled up in a sweater and gloves, he knew the challenges his team was facing.

"We knew we had our work cut out for us, but, hey, one thing I can say about our kids, we didn't give up," Mares said. "We stayed in there. We fought it till the end. These kids right here have put Goliad back on the map, and that's the best thing that happened to us."

With the temperature dipping to the 30s on Friday, catching the ball was difficult for the Tigers, who had just nine total receptions. The Bulldogs didn't have the same problems, catching 16 passes for 216 yards.

The Tigers got to within 10 yards of scoring twice in the second half, and both times they were unable to score.

Tthe Tigers didn't reach score for the second time until there was 3:15 left in the fourth quarter.

"We played good tonight, but we didn't fight through it," Sturm said. "We had some bad breaks. We didn't score when we were in the red zone. We had a chance to win; we just didn't do what we needed to do."

The senior signal caller got things going for the Tigers after connecting with sophomore Mac Wimberly late in the first quarter to make it 8-6.

It was the closest Goliad came to leading the game.

After the clock struck zero to end the game, several Tigers played gave each other hugs. For 18 seniors on the team, including Moya, it was their final high school football game.

"Everybody on this team I played with since I was in first grade," Moya said. "We all love each other to death. We're all brothers. I wouldn't trade them for anybody else."



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia