Week five prep football previews
Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:03 a.m.
(All games start at 7:30 p.m.)
Gregory-Portland Wildcats at Victoria East Titans
• Last year: Gregory-Portland, 35-20.
• Notes: East (1-3, 0-1) looks to bounce back from a district-opening loss to Tuloso-Midway against Gregory-Portland (3-2, 1-0). Gregory-Portland opened district with a win over Beeville. The 29 points East surrendered to Tuloso-Midway are the fewest since last year's season opener against Gonzales. Gregory-Portland has yielded a total of 16 points in its last two games after giving up a total of 93 in its first three games. Gregory-Portland's Devin Bisby has rushed for 778 yards and nine touchdowns. East's Jonathan Ortega has rushed for 475 yards and six touchdowns and passed for 427 yards and three touchdowns.
• Radio: KNAL, 1410 AM.
Victoria West Warriors at Beeville Trojans
• Last year: West, 34-10.
• Notes: West (3-1, 0-0) comes off its bye week and travels to Veterans Memorial Stadium to play Beeville (0-5, 0-1). West has won two of the three previous games between the teams, and the first two were decided by eight points or less. Beeville dropped its district opener to Gregory-Portland. Beeville has been outscored 210-63 in its five losses. West is off to its second consecutive 3-1 start. West's Tony Navarro has passed for 505 yards and six touchdowns, and Jacob Armstrong has 15 catches for 225 yards and three touchdowns.
• Radio: KVNN, 1340 AM & KTKO, 105.7 FM.
Tuloso-Midway Warriors at Calhoun Sandcrabs
• Last year: Calhoun, 47-21.
• Notes: Tuloso-Midway (4-1, 1-0) travels from Corpus Christi to Port Lavaca to play Calhoun (4-1, 0-1). Calhoun had its 27-game regular-season winning streak snapped in a 48-0 loss to Calallen. Calhoun has won 14 consecutive games at Sandcrab Stadium. Tuloso-Midway pulled out a 29-28 win over Victoria East. Calhoun has outscored Tuloso-Midway 160-56 in their last three meetings. Tuloso-Midway's Matthew Dickson has rushed for 458 yards and seven touchdowns, and Christian Salazar has rushed for 402 yards and seven touchdowns. Calhoun's Cory Williams has rushed for 650 yards and nine touchdowns, and Hunter Boerm has rushed for 552 yards and five touchdowns.
• Radio: KITE, 93.3 FM.
El Campo Ricebirds at Bellville Brahmas
• Last year: El Campo, 28-7.
• Notes: El Campo (3-0, 0-0) opens district by playing its first game since Sept. 13. El Campo dropped from No. 10 to No. 11 in the Class 3A state poll. Bellville (3-2, 0-1) was the district favorite but lost its district opener to Columbus. El Campo has won 16 straight regular-season games. El Campo's defense is limiting opponents to a district-best 191 yards per game. El Campo's B.J. Flagg has rushed for 534 yards and five touchdowns. Bellville's LaKieath Nunn has rushed for a district-leading 836 yards and 11 touchdowns.
• Radio: KULP, 1390 AM.
Sealy Tigers at Wharton Tigers
• Last year: Wharton, 36-35.
• Notes: Wharton (5-0, 1-0) opened district with a 32-3 win over Needville and is off to the second-best start in school history. Sealy (3-2, 1-0) defeated Brookshire Royal 62-30. Sealy is averaging a district-best 439.5 yards per game. Wharton has limited opponents to 211.6 yards per game. Wharton has outscored its five opponents by a combined score of 205-78. Sealy's Christian Wallace has rushed for 536 yards and seven touchdowns, and Holten Einkauf has passed for 533 yards and four touchdowns and rushed for 330 yards and three touchdowns. Wharton's Toney Rogers has rushed for 458 yards and eight touchdowns, Joseph Krenek has passed for 895 yards and eight touchdowns, and Leeshad O'Neal and Dontay Bell have combined for 29 receptions for 613 yards and seven touchdowns.
DISTRICT 15-2A, DIVISION II
San Antonio Cole Cougars at Goliad Tigers
• Last year: Goliad, 35-14.
• Notes: Goliad (4-1, 1-0) plays Cole (1-3, 0-0) looking to start district with two wins for the first time since 2008. Cole opens district after coming off its bye week. Teams have common opponent in Yorktown. Goliad beat Yorktown 28-7, and Cole defeated Yorktown 38-6. Goliad's Dalton Sturm was named the Built Ford Tough Class 2A Player of the Week for his performance in Goliad's 38-20 win over George West. Sturm has rushed for 745 yards and 13 touchdowns, passed for 625 yards and two touchdowns, and has scored an area-leading 98 points.
DISTRICT 13-2A, DIVISION II
Tidehaven Tigers at Brazos Cougars
• Last year: Tidehaven, 31-0.
• Notes: Tidehaven (1-4, 0-1) travels from El Maton to Wallis to take on Brazos (2-2, 0-1) for the 10th-straight season. Brazos owns a 5-4 edge during that span. Tidehaven looks to bounce back from a 63-0 district-opening loss to No. 3 East Bernard. Brazos lost 63-7 to Danbury. Tidehaven's Brandon Litzau has passed for 419 yards and two touchdowns, and Eric Villarreal has rushed for 244 yards and one touchdown and has 221 receiving yards and one touchdown.
Danbury Panthers and Van Vleck Leopards
• Last year: Danbury, 48-0.
• Notes: Danbury (5-0, 1-0) and Van Vleck (2-2, 1-0) battle for at least a share of the district lead. Danbury opened district with a 63-7 win over Brazos and has scored 39 points or more in four games. Van Vleck claimed a 49-7 win over Hitchcock - Van Vleck's first district-opening win since it went 5-0 in 2004. Danbury is averaging a district-leading 495.8 yards per game. Van Vleck has yielded a district-worst 366 yards per game. Danbury's Spencer Seman has passed for a district-leading 1,321 yards and 17 touchdowns and rushed for 389 yards and nine touchdowns. Van Vleck's Trustin Norris and Montrell Brown have combined to rush for 623 yards and seven touchdowns.
DISTRICT 14-2A, DIVISION II
Randolph Ro-Hawks at Schulenburg Shorthorns
• Last year: Schulenburg, 42-18.
• Notes: Randolph (2-2, 0-1) travels from Universal City to play Schulenburg (3-1, 1-0). Schulenburg has won three straight games, including a 37-0 district-opening win over Johnson City. Randolph lost 57-6 to Rogers in its district opener. Schulenburg has allowed a total of 17 points in its three wins. Randolph's Bryan London has rushed for 420 yards and six touchdowns. Schulenburg's Ross Bludau has passed for a district-leading 892 yards and six touchdowns, and Jeffrey Lara and Tyler Thompson are 1-2 in the area with a combined 39 catches for 661 yards and five touchdowns.
DISTRICT 15-2A, DIVISION II
Karnes City Badgers vs. Bloomington Bobcats, at Vanderbilt
• Last year: Karnes City, 34-0.
Notes: Karnes City (1-3, 0-1) and Bloomington (1-3, 0-1) travel to Vanderbilt's Cobra Stadium because Bloomington's stadium is not ready after being renovated. Karnes City and Bloomington are looking to bounce back from district-opening losses. Karnes City lost to Nixon-Smiley, and Bloomington fell to Poth. Karnes City has lost three straight games, but two of those losses were by a combined seven points. Bloomington has lost 59 consecutive district games. Karnes City's Dylan Wright and Paul Kinney have combined to rush for 639 yards and six touchdowns. Bloomington's John Mendez has rushed for 671 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Dilley Wolves at Nixon-Smiley Mustangs
• Last year: Dilley, 41-15.
• Notes: Dilley (2-2, 1-0) and Nixon-Smiley (3-1, 1-0) battle for at least a share of the district lead. Nixon-Smiley is coming off a 12-7 win over Karnes City and is attempting to start district with two wins for the first time since 2005. Dilley beat Stockdale 41-26 in its district opener. Nixon-Smiley's Jared Van Auken has rushed for 409 yards and four touchdowns.
DISTRICT 16-2A, DIVISION II
Freer Buckaroos at Refugio Bobcats
• Last year: Refugio, 77-7.
• Notes: Freer (1-3, 0-1) and Refugio (3-1, 1-0) play for the 13th time. Refugio leads the series 8-4. Freer's touchdown was the lone points Refugio allowed in district play last season. Refugio has won 38 straight district games and is ranked No. 10 in the Class 2A state poll. Refugio opened district with a 70-0 win over Riviera. Freer dropped an 18-14 decision to Santa Gertrudis Academy in its opener. Refugio's Travis Quintanilla has passed for an area-leading 1,186 yards and 11 touchdowns, and Tyler Castellano, J.B. Brown and Dana Franklin have combined for 39 receptions for 594 yards and five touchdowns.
TAPPS DIVISION II, DISTRICT 3
San Antonio Christian Lions at St. Joseph Flyers
• Last year: San Antonio Christian, 42-3.
Notes: San Antonio Christian (2-2, 0-1) and St. Joseph (1-3, 1-0) play for the 10th-straight season. St. Joseph owns a 5-4 edge during that span, but San Antonio Christian has won the last three games between the teams, two of which were non-district contests. St. Joseph ended a three-game losing and scoreless streak with a 31-9 district-opening win over San Antonio Cornerstone Christian. San Antonio Christian lost its district opener 22-14 to San Antonio Holy Cross. St. Joseph's Harrison High and Adam Konarik have combined for five interceptions.
TAPPS DIVISION II, DISTRICT 5
Brazos Christian Eagles at St. Paul Cardinals
• Last year: St. Paul, 19-18.
Notes: Brazos Christian (4-0) travels from Bryan to Shiner to open district against St. Paul (0-3). St. Paul has won six of its last seven games against Brazos Christian. St. Paul has started a season with three losses for the first time since 2007. The teams had a common opponent in Cypress Christian. Brazos Christian defeated Cypress Christian 48-21. St. Paul lost to Cypress Christian 30-20. St. Paul's T.J. Bell has rushed for 411 yards and three touchdowns.
Bay City Blackcats at Columbia Roughnecks
• Last year: Columbia, 48-0.
• Notes: Class 4A Bay City (0-4) travels to West Columbia to play Class 3A Columbia (2-2). Bay City looks to end a 19-game losing streak. Bay City lost its district opener 40-21 to Brazosport last week. Columbia defeated Brazosport 35-33 in its season opener. Bay City's Zavian Gartica has passed for 556 yards and four touchdowns, and Marcus Pointer has 15 receptions for 204 yards and four touchdowns.
Sam Houston Hurricanes at Gonzales Apaches
• Last year: Gonzales, 61-6.
Notes: Sam Houston (1-4) travels from San Antonio to play Gonzales (3-1). Gonzales has won two of its last three games against Sam Houston, and two of those games were district contests. Sam Houston's lone win was over San Antonio Southside, and the team is coming off a 54-12 loss to Navarro. Gonzales is coming off a 43-37 overtime win against College Station. Gonzales' Alyas Ramirez has rushed for an area-leading 783 yards and 12 touchdowns.• Radio: KCTI, 1450 AM.
Stafford Spartans at Palacios Sharks
• Last year: Palacios, 24-14.
• Notes: Class 2A, Division I Palacios (1-2) takes on Class 3A Stafford (4-0) in its first game since Sept. 13. Palacios' game against Van Vleck on Sept. 20 was stopped at halftime because of the weather, and Palacios had an open date last week. Palacios and Stafford had a common opponent in Tidehaven. Stafford beat Tidehaven 53-2 in its season opener. Palacios defeated Tidehaven 21-0 in the second week. Palacios begins district play next week against Hallettsville. Palacios' Chris Garcia has rushed for 295 yards and one touchdown, Cameron Sides has passed for 522 yards and three touchdowns, and Alfred Aparicio has 15 catches for 110 yards.
Shiner Comanches at Weimar Wildcats
• Last year: Shiner, 33-32.
• Notes: Shiner (2-2) and Weimar (2-1) play for the 41st time. Shiner owns a 25-15 advantage. The teams played twice last season, and Shiner won both games: one in the regular season and one in the Class 1A, Division I regional playoffs. The teams both lost to Hallettsville - Shiner by a 39-0 margin, and Weimar by a 49-0 margin. Shiner's Marcus Coleman, Jacob Stafford, Chad Neubauer and Tyler Patek have combined to rush for 1,104 yards and 11 touchdowns. Weimar's Ortis Newhouse has three interceptions.
• Radio: KYKM, 94.3 FM. Internet: texasthunderradio.com.
Burton Panthers at Flatonia Bulldogs
• Last year: Burton, 46-13.
• Notes: Class 1A, Division II Burton (1-3) has won five straight games against Class 1A, Division I Flatonia (3-1). Flatonia has won three straight games since losing its season opener against Nixon-Smiley, including last week's 24-14 win over Ganado. Flatonia's defense is yielding an average of 165 yards per game and has surrendered a total of 22 points in its three wins. Burton's lone win was against Louise. Flatonia's Will Bruns has completed 22 of his 28 passes for six touchdowns.
Ganado Indians at Louise Hornets
• Last year: Ganado, 54-0.
• Notes: Class 1A, Division I Ganado (3-2) and Class 1A, Division II Louise (0-4) continue "The Battle of Mustang Creek." Ganado has won three straight and 13 of the last 15 games against Louise. Louise head coach Danny Villanueva resigned Wednesday and was replaced by offensive coordinator Oscar Castillo. He will try to ignite a Louise offense that has scored a total of 27 points. Ganado's Clay Vesely has rushed for 623 yards and five touchdowns, has three interceptions and has scored 44 points.
• Internet: kulpradio.com.
Woodsboro Eagles at Benavides Eagles
• Last year: Woodsboro, 53-6.
Notes: Woodsboro (4-0) visits Benavides (1-4) in its final game before beginning district play. Woodsboro is seeking to go through its non-district schedule undefeated for the second-straight season. Woodsboro is coming off a 36-6 win over Agua Dulce. Benavides is coming off a 46-8 loss to Monte Alto. Benavides' lone win was against Harlingen Marine Military Academy. Woodsboro's Lionel Brown has rushed for 585 yards and six touchdowns.
Sacred Heart Indians vs. Hull-Daisetta Bobcats, at Katy
• Last year: Did not play.
• Notes: TAPPS Division III Sacred Heart (1-2) travels from Hallettsville to Katy's Tompkins High to place Class 1A, Division I Hull-Daisetta (0-4). Sacred Heart is coming off a 47-20 win over Louise and will open district play next week. Hull-Daisetta lost 41-24 to Hardin last week.
• Radio: KTXM, 99.9 FM. Internet: texasthunderradio.com.
Note: San Antonio Hawkins at Kenedy has been canceled.
Compiled by Mike Forman