Veterans' Corner: High school diplomas available for certain veterans

Sept. 1, 2013 at 4:01 a.m.

Veterans who did not graduate from high school because they joined the military can get their diplomas.

To qualify, the veteran must be an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States, was scheduled to graduate from high school after 1940 and before 1975 or after 1989 or left school after completing grade six or higher but before graduating from high school to serve in war.

These wars include World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, the Iraq war, the war in Afghanistan or any other war formally declared by the United States; military engagements authorized by the U.S. Congress; military engagements authorized by a United Nations Security Council resolution and funded by Congress or conflicts authorized by the president of the United States under the War Powers Resolution of 1973.

A school district may issue a diploma to an eligible veteran even if the veteran has a GED certificate or is dead.

Applications for High School Diploma for Certain Veterans forms are available at the Disabled American Veterans Service Officers Office.

Once complete, the application is turned in to the school district in which the veteran is seeking the diploma.

For more information, visit the DAV Service Officers Office located at the Texas Workforce Center, corner of Main and Santa Rosa streets in downtown Victoria, or call 361-578-0341, ext. 247. The hours of operation are 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday.

Frank Torres is an officer for Victoria Disabled American Veterans Chapter 169 and offers military benefit information and advice for Victoria and surrounding counties.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia