2 men hurt in Victoria water heater explosion
Sept. 30, 2013 at 4:30 a.m.
Updated Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:01 a.m.
Two workers at the Pioneer Natural Resources were burned Monday night after a hot water heater exploded.
The men, who were transported to DeTar Hospital Navarro, were attempting to light the heater when it exploded in a room in one of the buildings at 15555 U.S. Highway 77 North at 7:13 p.m., said Shannon Martin, Victoria Fire Department battalion chief.
David Phillips, Victoria County Fire Marshal's Office assistant chief, said too much gas had built up in the room.
"They were in the process of opening up," he said. "They haven't actually moved in yet."
The Nursery Volunteer Fire Department also responded, but there was no fire when units arrived, Martin said.
Officials did not release the workers' identities Monday night.