Grass fire ignites mobile home skirting; 2 evacuated
Feb. 16, 2014 at 1:05 p.m.
Updated Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.
Two adults were evacuated Sunday afternoon when a grass fire ignited their mobile home.
No one was injured in the fire in the 1500 block of Beck Road West, which caused $1,000 in damages to the home, said Battalion Chief Roger Hempel.
He said the Victoria Fire Department was called to the scene at 11:30 a.m., and it extinguished the fire by 12:15 p.m.
The fire was caused by a piece of material that flew out of a burn barrel and caught grass on fire, which traveled and made its way to the mobile home, Hempel said. The skirting around the mobile home was burned, but the home is still livable, and the residents will not be displaced.