Woman killed in Placedo fire identified
Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:02 p.m.
Updated Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:27 p.m.
The body discovered in a Placedo fire Saturday was identified as 83-year-old Stella Bonuz.
Firefighters responded to a blaze in the 100 block of Serene Drive on Saturday.
Her identity was confirmed through fingerprints, Victoria County Fire Marshal Ronald Pray said Thursday. The cause of the fire was ruled accidental because of an electrical issue in the garage, Pray said.
Bonuz's daughter, Christina Navarro, said her mother had called her in a panic and said she couldn't breathe and was dying.
Navarro, who lived in the mobile home with her mother and husband, was not home during the fire.
"It was an accidental fire, and the woman didn't escape from the building," Pray said. "Based on all the evidence that we have so far, she perished in the fire. ... She just couldn't get out of the building. We're not sure if she was overcome by smoke."
A toxicology report was not complete as of Thursday.