Goliad's Fannin Street United Methodist Church to receive state historical marker
Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.
Updated Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.
A Texas Historical Commission marker for the Fannin Street United Methodist Church in Goliad will be dedicated at noon Saturday.
The church, located on the corner of South Mt. Auburn and Fannin streets, was established in 1872 and is the oldest African-American church in Goliad, according to a news release from Goliad County Historic Commission.
It was originally located near the San Antonio River and later on Horseshoe Bend but was destroyed by a hurricane in 1886.
The parishioners rebuilt it on the corner of Fannin and Mt. Auburn, only to have that building destroyed by the 1902 cyclone. Fifty worshipers were killed and were buried in the Lott Cemetery on Sunrise Road, 1/2 mile off state Highway 239, according to the news release.
A third disaster occurred in 1976, when the steeple was struck by lightning, leaving the sign of the cross. Unable to remount the bell, it was mounted in front of the church.
Fannin Street United Methodist Church has served as a social and religious center for many African-American families for 141 years.
Many of the present members are descendants of founding members, including the present pastor, the Rev. Darrell Edwards, who will offer the closing prayer at the dedication. Dr. Austin Frederick, head chaplain of the Methodist Hospitals in San Antonio, also a descendant of early members, will speak along with Goliad County Judge David Bowman, Goliad County Historic Commission Chairman Bill Montague and marker chairwoman Patsy Light.