Life happens: 33 things I've learned in 33 years *(new parent edition)
July 3, 2014 at 2:03 a.m.
1. A baby's cry has the magical ability to make time stop. For instance, 45 seconds of crying feels like three hours. And three hours of crying feels like you can't remember life before the crying started and will probably die before it ends.
2. There are a lot of perks to having a baby. Using them as an excuse to stop cleaning your house is the best one.
3. How much a baby wants to vomit is directly proportional to how much you like the outfit you are currently wearing.
4. Never get mad when someone gets the gender of your baby wrong. Only get mad when they get your gender wrong.
5. Watching your kid get a shot at the doctor really does hurt you more than it hurts them. But then, you remember how much the first six weeks of breast-feeding hurt, and suddenly, you don't feel nearly as bad for them anymore.
6. Babies are born with two very strong instincts: to suckle and to head-butt you right on the nose. They will want to do both of these things often.
7. Ironically, babies themselves are the best form of birth control.
8. You will love your baby more than anything else in the world - except for sleep.
9. Always assume a pregnant woman is hungry. Because she is.
10. You cannot fathom how often you will talk about poop once you have a baby. How much, how often, consistency, color, smell, whether or not it exploded out of their cute, little tushie like an erupting volcano. It will sneak into every conversation you have.
11. Apparently, there is such a thing as a stupid question. Or at least that's what my son's pediatrician told me when I called him at 3 a.m. last night.
12. Dogs love babies. And they show this love by licking them directly in the mouth every chance they get.
13. Hearing your baby laugh is the best sound in the world. I don't have a follow-up joke for this. It just really is.
14. You will often find yourself oversharing incredibly personal information to your other mom friends, such as how your C-section scar is healing and why you need to use a nipple shield while breastfeeding. And you will do this loudly. In public places.
15. Never tell a pregnant woman cheeseburgers are not an acceptable breakfast food. She will stab you.
16. Babies use sleep deprivation as a mind control device. You will quite literally be willing to do anything for them if it means you can just take a five-minute nap.
17. No matter how clearly you explain it to them, babies will never understand the correlation between them shoving their finger in their eye and why they are currently in pain and crying.
18. Never ask a pregnant woman if you think she should be eating that. She will stab you.
19. You will completely forget how much you hated people who constantly posted photos of their kids all over Facebook and Instagram while you're busy uploading 56 photos to your album "Baby's First Tuesday!"
20. Never eat off a pregnant woman's plate. She will stab you.
21. If there was an Olympic sport called "Who can pee the farthest," a baby would win.
22. If there was an Olympic sport called "Who can spit the binkie out the farthest," a baby would win.
23. If there was an Olympic sport called "How many times can I make this idiot pick up the binkie off the floor," a baby would win.
24. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure maternity ward nurses are angels - angels handing out magical painkillers made of rainbows and unicorns and the happy tears of a teacup pig.
25. The second you brag about how well your baby sleeps through the night is the second he decides to wake up every 15 minutes every single night for the next six months.
26. Never ask a pregnant woman if she ate that entire cake. She did. And she will stab you.
27. Grandparents are the only people on this Earth who will not immediately hand back to you your screaming child.
28. Screw sliced bread. Disinfectant wipes are the best invention since forever.
29. Once you have a baby, eating a meal becomes a luxury. One you can no longer afford.
30. For some reason, babies hate any entertainment that isn't jiggling keys. Hence, you will never watch a full TV episode or a movie in its entirety ever again.
31. Never tell a pregnant woman you think she's gained too much weight. She will cry. And then, she will stab you.
32. There are a lot of things wrong with the world. But it's hard to think of any of them when you have a sleeping baby on your chest.
33. It's likely at some point in your life you will be stabbed by a pregnant woman.