Edna man faces murder charge; victim's mother recalls horror

Jessica Priest By Jessica Priest

July 24, 2014 at 2:24 a.m.
Updated July 25, 2014 at 2:25 a.m.

The mother of an Edna man who was stabbed to death still replays that night last fall.

"That was the hardest night of my life -- to see my baby on a hospital bed, to watch them load him in a body bag and put him in the back of a truck," Kimerla Robinson said of her son, Olin "Champ" Anthony Robinson II.

Champ Robinson's friend, Almaad "Joe" Raykeem Robinson, 21, was charged with his death and is awaiting trial.

He is scheduled to be arraigned in Jackson County on July 31 on charges of murder, manslaughter and one count each of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on a family member and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing serious bodily injury.

Champ Robinson, 29, was injured Nov. 17 in the 200 block of West Elm Street in Edna.

He suffered two stab wounds to the upper torso and died later at the hospital, according to an earlier report.

The victim was stabbed by Joe Robinson before, two weeks before his death, his mother said.

Then, Champ Robinson suffered a stab wound to one of his legs after he tried to confront Joe Robinson about stealing items from his grandmother's house. For some reason, police never arrested Joe Robinson for that assault, she said.

Kimerla Robinson also remembered that after her son's death, the defendant boasted about it on Facebook.

Both District Attorney Bobby Bell and Edna Police Chief Clinton Wooldridge declined to comment about the ongoing case.

Wooldridge said Thursday his department investigated the Facebook post.

The defendant is represented by Chris Iles, of Victoria, according to court records.

He could not be reached for comment Thursday.

The victim is survived by his three children, one of whom will turn 1 year old next month.

He worked at Church's Chicken and was well-liked, his mother said.

"I want Joe to spend the rest of his life in prison and think about what he took from me, my mom and his kids," Kimerla Robinson said.

Joe Robinson often spent time at their dinner table, too, so "that's why it was so hard. It was so senseless," she said.

Joe Robinson remained in the Jackson County Jail on Thursday on a $100,000 bond.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia