2014 Victoria Advocate All-Area Track & Field Team
June 7, 2014 at 1:07 a.m.
ATHLETES OF THE YEAR
Ashtin Zamzow, sr., Goliad
Won gold medals in the 100-meter hurdles and 300-meter hurdles at the 2014 Class 2A state meet.
Scored 22 points at the 2014 state meet.
Area-best times in the 100-meter hurdles and 300-meter hurdles.
Will attend Texas A&M on a track and field scholarship next season.
Alyssa Leister, sr., Nordheim
Won gold medals and set state records in the long jump and 200-meter dash at the 2014 Class 1A, Division II state meet.
Scored 25 points at the 2014 state meet.
Won silver medal in the long jump at the 2013 Class 1A, Division II state meet.
Area-best in the long jump.
Will attend Texas A&M-Kingsville on a track and field scholarship next season.
COACHES OF THE YEAR
Stacy Zamzow, Goliad
• Led Tigerettes to District 30-2A meet, District 29/30-2A Area meet, Region IV-2A meet titles.
• Tigerettes finished fourth at the Class 2A state meet.
Carlton Williams, Nordheim
• Led Lady Pirates to Region IV-1A, Division II title.
• Lady Pirates finished tied for fourth at the Class 1A, Division II state meet.
• BREAKING RECORDS: Yoakum junior Celine Markert came into the season with school record in the discus of 136 feet, 2 inches after winning a gold medal at the Class 3A state meet at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin. Markert broke her record numerous times this season before setting another school record and winning another gold medal with a throw of 145 feet at the state meet. She has her sights set on the Class 3A state record of 155 feet, 5 inches.
• SHEER GUTS: Karnes City junior Paul Kinney was seeded seventh at the Class 2A state meet in the 400-meter dash. But he took the lead for good early in the race and never let go. He won in a time of 48.31 seconds, cutting almost two seconds from his best time. Kinney was so spent, he could barely make his way up the steps at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin to receive his medal. He somehow managed to compete in the 200-meter dash less than an hour later.
• THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN: Schulenburg senior Sarah Walker and Yoakum junior Tre'Vontae Hights had to compete in the long jump and high jump at the same time at the state meet. This meant going from one end of Mike A. Myers Stadium to the other. Walker, who will attend Sam Houston State on a track and field scholarship, won a gold medal in the Class 2A high jump by clearing 5 feet, 6 inches and a silver in the long jump with a leap of 17 feet, 8 inches. Hights won a bronze medal in the Class 3A long jump with a leap of 23 feet, -inch. Hights won a gold medal in the triple jump as a sophomore, but the bronze was just as special to him. Standing on the medal stand made all the hard work Hights had put in to recover from a broken ankle he suffered in Yoakum's bi-district football playoff game worthwhile.
• FAMILY TRADITION: Flatonia senior Reed Rightmer comes from a family of pole vaulters. His grandfather, Harold, vaulted at Flatonia and Texas State. His father, Clay, vaulted at Schulenburg and Baylor. But Reed, who practiced alongside Celine Markert in Yoakum, became the first in his family to win a gold medal at the state meet. Reed won the Class 1A pole vault at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin by clearing a personal best 15 feet, 9 inches. He hopes to walk on the track team at Baylor next season.
• OUT OF NOWHERE: Woodsboro senior Lionel Brown started triple jumping because of a bet with a teammate he made in practice. His first meet was the District 31-1A, Division I meet, and he won the event. He went on to set a record at the Region IV-1A Division I Meet with a leap 46 feet, -inch. Brown wasn't done winning medals. He finished second and captured a silver medal at the Class 1A, Division I state meet at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin with a jump of 45 feet, 7 inches.
• JUST REWARD: Victoria East senior Kasey Heitzmann has participated in a number of events since transferring to the school toward the end of her sophomore year. Heitzmann scored a lot of points for the Lady Titans but often at the expense of getting better at one event. Heitzmann never complained and was rewarded by qualifying for the Class 4A state meet in the 300-meter hurdles. She became the first athlete from East to qualify for the state meet in an individual running event. Heitzmann concluded her high school career at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin by finishing eighth in a time of 45.75 seconds.
• THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT: The Victoria West girls finished third in the 800-meter relay at the Region IV-4A meet at Heroes Stadium in San Antonio. The relay team just missed qualifying for the state meet. The Warriors also finished fifth in the 400 relay. Mikayla Roell was fourth in the 100-meter dash, Saige McLarty was fifth in the high jump, and Bailey Daniel was sixth in the triple jump. Roell is a sophomore, and McLarty and Daniel are among five freshmen members of the West team. The experience the Warriors gained this year should make them even better next season.
Shot put: Mason Davis, sr., Industrial
Discus: Jorge Rios, so., Calhoun
Long jump: Quinton Pena, sr., Victoria East
Triple jump: Lionel Brown, sr., Woodsboro
High jump: Blayke Phillips, jr., Victoria West
Pole vault: Reed Rightmer, sr., Flatonia
3,200 meter run: John Von Dohlen, sr., Goliad
400-meter relay: Victoria West
800-meter run: Will Maraggia, sr., Industrial
110-meter hurdles: Zachary Dibbern, sr., Bay City
100-meter dash: Montrae Brown, jr., Van Vleck
800-meter relay: Rice Consolidated
400-meter dash: Paul Kinney, jr., Karnes City
300-meter hurdles: Joseph White, sr., Victoria East
200-meter dash: Toney Rogers, jr., Wharton
1,600-meter run: Todd Mickey, sr., Victoria West
1,600-meter relay: Wharton
Shot put: Ericka Hernandez, so., Gonzales
Discus: Celine Markert, jr., Yoakum
Long jump: Desiree Garza, sr., Yoakum
Triple jump: Bailey Daniel, fr., Victoria West
High jump: Sarah Walker, sr., Schulenburg
Pole vault: Danyelle Glass, sr., Gonzales
3,200-meter run: Natalie Jackson, so., Shiner St. Paul
400-meter relay: Victoria West
800-meter run: Jenna Allen, so., Hallettsville
100-meter hurdles: Lauren Rangnow, so., Victoria East
100-meter dash: Bren'Yae Mitchell, so., Bay City
800-meter relay: Victoria West
400-meter dash: Acacia Watson, jr., Wharton
300-meter hurdles: Kasey Heitzmann, sr., Victoria East
200-meter dash: Destiny Knight, fr., Rice Consolidated
1,600-meter run: Cassidy High, so., Industrial
1,600-meter relay: Wharton
Shot put: Tristen Wendt, Schulenburg; Mitchel Mica, Flatonia. Discus: D'Marcus Miles, Van Vleck; Trenton Bridges, Yoakum. Long jump: Tre'Vontae Hights, Yoakum. Triple jump: Davontay Mathis, Yoakum; Desmond Smith, Van Vleck. High jump: Khori Walker, Cuero. Pole vault: Connor Holladay, Calhoun. 3,200: Blake Westbrook, Victoria West. 400 relay: Wharton; Van Vleck. 800: Sergio Mancera, Palacios. 110 hurdles: Ricky Woodard, Van Vleck; Xiaoxing He, Cuero; Kameron Smith, Ganado. 100: Gamar Girdy, Victoria West; Sherman Mullen, Van Vleck; Jeffrey Lara, Schulenburg. 800 relay: Wharton; Victoria East. 400: Pedro Almarez, Wharton; Colby Zamzow, Goliad; Garrett Earlywine, Nixon-Smiley. 300 hurdles: Dalton Sturm, Goliad. 200: Montrell Brown, Van Vleck; Andres Villarreal, Woodsboro; Tre Miles, Cuero; Leeshad O'Neal, Wharton; 1,600: Quintin Kirk, Edna; 1,600 relay: Rice Consolidated, Victoria East.
Shot put: Vicki Niemeier, Yorktown; Discus: Cassidy Targac, Hallettsville; Long jump: Kassidy Bishop, Shiner; Lauren Brogger, Industrial; Cortnee Priour, Goliad. Triple jump: Kristen Fisher, St. Joseph. High jump: Paige Dollard, Shiner; Saige McLarty, Victoria West; Molly Barnick, Gonzales. Pole vault: Lauren Labay, Rice Consolidated. 3,200: Amberlee Munsch, Weimar. 400 relay: El Campo. 800: Danielle Garza, Goliad; Maggie Grosenbacher, Shiner. 100 hurdles: Riley Schneider, Rice Consolidated. 100: Mikayla Roell, Victoria West. 800 relay: Goliad. 400: Kendall Coles, Goliad. 300 hurdles: Katelyn Salziger, Goliad; 200: Sierra Pruitt, Industrial; 1,600: Alex Villafranca, Cuero; 1,600 relay: Goliad.
(Athletes were chosen in one event)