City Corner: Springtime for cleaning out and cleaning up

By Jennifer Sourdellia
March 30, 2014 at 10:04 p.m.
Updated March 29, 2014 at 10:30 p.m.

How often can I have a garage sale in Victoria?

City residents can have one garage sale every six months at the same location. A $10 garage sale permit is required to have a garage sale and is available from the city secretary office located at City Hall, 108 W. Juan Linn St.

Garage sale permits can also be purchased online at by clicking on the "city secretary" link on the left column of the home page. There is an extra $3 convenience fee for purchasing the permit online.

You can also search for permitted garage sales in Victoria from this link. Call the city secretary office at 361-485-3040 for more information.

Is compost from the City Garden-Ville Compost Facility available for sale?

Yes, compost from the composting facility is for sale and is perfect for planting spring flower beds and gardens. The compost can be purchased by the bag or the truckload.

Composting offers a natural method to reduce the amount of yard waste placed in the landfill and to recycle yard waste into organic, environmentally friendly nutrients for gardens and flower beds. In Victoria, about 40 percent of trash during the spring and fall is comprised of yard waste.

The Garden-Ville Composting Facility opened in spring 2008 to help reduce the amount of yard waste going into the landfill. The facility recycles yard waste, such as trees, trimmings, leaves, grass, clippings and brush into compost, which is valuable for gardening and landscaping. The facility produces and sells the organic compost, mulch and other gardening products that are free of all chemicals that we do not want in our storm drains.

The facility is located at 18125 Farm-to-Market Road 1686, just off state Highway 185. For more information, call 361-897-1500.

What are the most common city code violations? Are most code violations reported by inspectors or the public?

Our most common code violations are probably what residents might expect. The first is tall grass and weeds more than 12 inches tall. We get a lot of these violations after heavy rains and during the spring and fall. Junk vehicle violations are also very common.

These are inoperable vehicles with expired registration or inspection stickers and are wrecked, dismantled or partially dismantled. Trash and debris violations are more common than one might expect. Homeowners and tenants are responsible for keeping the area between the street and house free of junk, brush, trash and debris.

This includes the storage of any furniture not intended for outdoor use and appliances, tires or similar items. Most code enforcement violations are reported by neighbors and residents either on the city website at, via email at or by calling 361-485-3330. The email should include the address of the property in question and a brief description of the concern or type of violation.

Once the complaint is reported, code enforcement officers will resolve the issue. Individuals making complaints can request a status update by calling the Code Enforcement Office at 361-485-3330.

Do you have a question about the city of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the Communications/Public Information Office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia