City Corner: Summer reading program ready to kick off

By Jennifer Sourdellia
May 25, 2014 at 12:25 a.m.

When does the Summer Reading Program at the Victoria Public Library begin? Can you provide some details?

The Summer Reading Program encourages children and teens to read during the summer months by rewarding them with cool prizes. This free program is from June 9 through Aug. 1. Wild About Reading is for children up to fifth grade, while sixth through high school seniors participate in the Urban Jungle Teen Reading Program.

Many fun activities are planned throughout the summer for the children's program, including Lego play, Mr. Kippy, Texas Zoo, John O'Bryant Magic and story times. The teen program will feature a duct tape craft, family gaming, "Ender's Game," an ice cream party and much more.

Join us from 1-3 p.m. June 9 for the Summer Reading Program kickoff party featuring face painting, games, music, crafts and a visit from the Texas Zoo and Lucas Miller. The kickoff party will be at the Victoria Community Center.

For more information, call the library at 361-485-3302 or visit

My neighbor's grass is about 2 feet high. Who can I contact at the city to report this violation?

Grass and weeds more than 12 inches high are a violation of the Victoria city code. Property owners and tenants are responsible for keeping their lawns mowed and clippings cleared from the adjacent sidewalk and street.

Contact the City's Code Enforcement Department at 361-485-3330 to report the violation. You can also send an email to Be sure to include the address of the property and a brief description of the violation.

After the violation is reported, written notification is sent to the property owners or tenants, who are allowed seven days to mow their property. If the violation is not corrected after the time has elapsed, the city will mow the high grass and weeds and send the owner an invoice. (City Code, Chapters 10-41.)

You can also report any city code violation from your mobile device by browsing to and clicking on the customer service request link located on the right side of the city's homepage. Fill out the required fields and put as much information as you can about your request. Not only can you report a code violation online, you can report potholes, your garbage not being picked up, junk vehicles, sidewalk repairs and many other requests. All requests are forwarded to the proper department, and a case is opened on each request.

Does the city have a leash law?

Yes. Section 4-40 of the city code states that the owner of a dog must keep it under restraint. This section of the city code also requires pet owners to prevent pets from threatening, chasing or attacking passing persons, vehicles or other animals. The law also states that the owner of an animal must prevent it from damaging private or public property and prevent it from barking, whining or howling in such a manner, with such intensity or with such continued duration so as to annoy, distress or disturb the quiet comfort of nearby persons.

Do you have a question about the city of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the Communications/Public Information Office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia