<b>Through Saturday</b><br /> Friends of the Library Book Sale• Victoria Public Lib
Sept. 11, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.
Friends of the Library Book Sale• Victoria Public Library
• 302 N. Main St., Victoria
• 9 a.m.
• The Book Sale will be held in the Bronte Room from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday, and from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. On the last day of the book sale, fill up your Friends of the Library book bag for just $1.
Blessing and Dedication of Rock Wall• Trinity Episcopal School
• 1504 N. Moody St., Victoria
• 2:30 p.m.
• Trinity Episcopal School will bless and dedicate its rock wall. The ceremony will take place in the gym located in the middle school building. The rock wall is the only one of its kind in the Crossroads. Some of the donors who were responsible for raising funds to purchase the rock wall will be on hand.
Victoria Regional Museum Association Cocktail Party• Name Museum
• 306 W. Commercial St.
• 7-11 p.m.
• $45 per person
Serving cocktails and heavy hors d'oeuvres. Dress is vintage attire; don't forget your tiara. '60s DJ Claude McCan. Proceeds go toward improvements to the back gallery at the Nave Museum. There will be a raffle and door prizes. • For reservations, call 361-575-8227.
Steps To Recovery 5K Walk/Run• Riverside Park
• 476 McCright Drive, Victoria
• 8 a.m.
• Five-kilometer run and walk to benefit the Billy T. Cattan Recovery Outreach Center. Sponsorships available for $250, $500, $750 and $1,000. For information, call Kim Brookhouser at 361-576-4743 or Gary Moses at 361-550-5466.
Goliad Market Days• Historic Downtown Goliad
• 231 S. Market St., Goliad
• 9 a.m.
• Goliad Market Days is ready for the fall with more than 200 vendors attending. Shop for plants, spices, wind chimes, yard art, metal art, shoes, clothing, jewelry, birdhouses, knives, antler ware, furniture, shabby chic decor and so much more. All booths are located on the square in historic downtown.
Texas Czech Traditions• Museum of the Coastal Bend
• 2200 E. Red River St., Victoria
• 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Admission is pay what you want.
• Check out Czech heritage in this day of family-friendly programming to celebrate the opening of our fall exhibit, "Texas Czechs: Rooted in Tradition."
Kory Kubecka Santa Run Benefit• Vanderbilt Trinity Hall
• 5508 Farm-to-Market Road 616, Vanderbilt
• 10 a.m.
• Serving barbecue brisket and sausage plates with potatoes, beans and all the trimmings for $8 each. All motorcycles and hot rods are welcome. Beer, setups, sodas and water will be available, no ice chest allowed. Bike and hot rod fun run: first bike out at 10 a.m.; last bike in at 3 p.m.; $20 donation includes meal. All day music entertainment, cakewalk and Fun Factory bounce houses for the kids. Live auction from 3 to 6 p.m. with auctioneer Ricky Delagarza. For more information, call 361-284-3522, 361-220-7786 or 361-550-5466.
Jackie Coldewey Benefit• Dacosta Sons of Herman Hall
• 15736 Farm-to-Market Road 1686, Victoria
• 11 a.m.
• Coldewey was injured in a motor vehicle accident June 10. Her recovery is expected to be lengthy. Barbecue plates consisting of brisket, sausage, rice and beans and all the trimmings will be sold for $8 each from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; dine-in or carry-out. A live auction is planned for 12:30 p.m., silent auction items may be bid on throughout the day and a raffle drawing is scheduled for 4 p.m. Barbecue and raffle tickets have been available since Aug. 1. For more information or to make donations for the benefit, call 361-649-6048 or 361-571-0525. A benefit bank account has been set up at Prosperity Bank. Donations may be made under the name Denise Coldewey, treasurer for the benefit account. A GoFundMe account has also been established. To make a donation, visit gofundme.com and search for Jackie Coldewey.
Grand ReOpening• The Yoakum Gin
• 117 West St., Yoakum
• $10 presale; $15 at gate
• It's Yoakum Gin grand reopening's "Who's Got The Best" Barbecue Cook-Off featuring five bands all day long: Damon Curtis & The Nomads, Tim Hall Band, Judson Cole Band, Bubba Westly & Interstate Heartbreak and Jarrod Birmingham. Call 361-655-2909 to enter the Barbecue Contest. International Barbeque Cook-off Association rules. $150 per team. Divisions are brisket, pork ribs, half chicken and beans.
Ander-Weser Volunteer Fire Department Fundraiser• Weesatche Community Center
• 3 p.m.
• KB's BBQ, of Nursery, will be catering 500 plates of barbecue brisket, sausage, pinto beans and potato salad. Dessert and tea or water are available with every plate purchase. Each plate costs $9. There will be bottled water and sodas available for purchase, so leave ice chests at home. CountyLine Entertainment will provide live music from 3 to 6 p.m. The country store/bake sale will be open at 3 p.m., and the live auction will start at 6 p.m., with the raffle drawing to take place during the live auction.
Inez VFD Fundraiser• Inez Community Center
• 2511 Garcitas Creek Road, Inez
• 4 p.m.
• Selling chicken-fried steak plates for a donation. Other activities include a cakewalk, a silent and a live auction and a raffle. Raffle tickets are $25. Free dance from 9 p.m. to midnight with music by Texas Ride. For more information, call Rusty Knezek at 361-935-0142 or Gary Moses at 361-550-5466.
Hope Community Center Jam Session• Hope Community Center
• County Road 413, near the intersection of U.S. highways 111 and 77, Hope
• 6 p.m.
Everyone is invited to join us for singing and picking. Bring your instrument of choice. It is a family atmosphere, so feel free to bring the kids. Contact Elvis Johnston at 361-772-3113 for directions and information.
Cruise Night• AutoZone parking lot
• 4303-C N. Navarro St., Victoria
• 6 p.m.
• The public is invited to attend this free event. For more information, contact Rudy Gonzalez at 361-676-1554 or Gary Moses at 361-550-5466.
Girl Scout KickOff and Open House• Girl Scout office
• 104 W. River St., Victoria
• All day
• For more information, call the Girl Scout office at 361-573-6451.
Texas Zoo $3 Day• Texas Zoo
• 110 Medical Drive, Victoria
• 9 a.m.
• This special admission price is good for adults and children.
Holy Cross Catholic Church in Yorktown annual festival• Yorktown Community Hall
• Mass will begin at 9:30 a.m. in the church. At 10:30 a.m., the country store will open, and lunch will be ready in the air-conditioned hall. Homemade sausage and barbecue beef shoulder clod will be served with potato salad, coleslaw, dessert and drink for $10 for adults and pick-up plates and $5 for children 12 and under. Lunch will end at 2 p.m. DJ Val Mungia will provide musical entertainment with polkas, waltzes and classic country music. At 11 a.m., the cakewalk starts. The bounce house will open for the children at noon. There will be two raffles; ticket prices are $5 each or five for $20. The drawings will be at 3 p.m. A live auction will begin in the air-conditioned dining hall at 1 p.m.
Paddle Mule Slough• Launch at 16th Street and Intracoastal Water Way in Port O'Connor
• 8 a.m.
• $20 includes lunch and drink
• Thirteen-mile round-trip paddling tour and marsh ecology presentation. Ideal for experienced paddlers to explore estuaries around Port O'Connor. Paddle with local guide Alan Raby along segments of Texas Parks and Wildlife POC paddling trail. Have lunch while Texas Master Naturalist Allan Berger introduces ecology of the bays and marshes. Proceeds support San Antonio Bay Partnership's efforts to protect restore and enhance our estuaries for the benefit of the ecosystem and its human uses. To find out more about our efforts and to buy tickets to the Bay Paddling Series and other events, go to SABayPartnership.org.
Affectionate Arms Adult Day Care Fundraiser• Ventura's Tamales
• 3907 N. Navarro St., Victoria
• 10:30 a.m.
• Affectionate Arms Adult Day Care is having a fundraiser at Ventura's Tamales. Carne guisada, rice and beans plates are $8.50 each and are available for dine-in or to-go. The event will include a silent auction and live entertainment. Tickets are available at Affectionate Arms Day Care Center, 3802 John Stockbauer Drive, 361-578-9067; Golden Wings, 6605 N. Navarro St.; or Colonial Funeral Home, 1801 E. Red River.
Gospel Music Community Social• Zion Lutheran Church of Mission Valley
• 12183 Farm-to-Market Road 236
• 5 p.m.
Randy and Ann Boyd will be performing favorite gospel songs. The public is invited. Refreshments will be served after the performance.
Chicken Poop Bingo with The Pettit Brothers• Schroeder Hall
• 12516 Farm-to-Market Road 622, Goliad
• 3 p.m.
The Pettit Brothers are a traditional country music band with more than 30 years of performing together. Americana, traditional country and more inside the air-conditioned hall with Victoria's largest dance floor. Also, there will be Chicken Poop Bingo and your chance to win some money.