Document sheds light on Calhoun County murder case

Jessica Priest By Jessica Priest

March 2, 2015 at 11:37 p.m.
Updated March 3, 2015 at 8:05 a.m.

   test for The Victoria Advocate

Shortly before she and her children were killed, Dulce Cumpean-Camacho told a friend on the phone that her husband was pacing with a knife.

She hung up at 1:30 a.m., planning to call law enforcement for a third time that night.

The description of that phone call, a knife found outside their home and a Facebook post are just a few reasons why investigators arrested her husband, Jonathan Camacho, on suspicion of murder and capital murder, according to an arrest warrant affidavit recently unsealed by Judge Jack Marr.

The document also details the circumstances of her first two phone calls to law enforcement and lays a timeline for the events of Jan. 11 to 12, which Camacho said he does not remember completely.

Dulce Cumpean-Camacho first called law enforcement at 8:44 p.m. Jan. 11, after her husband discovered she had been text messaging another man. He threw her cell phone in a bathtub and left with the children, Zavier Camacho, 4, Ciara Camacho, 1 and Faith Camacho, 2 months old, according to the document.

A Calhoun County Sheriff's Office deputy was called next at 11:23 p.m. While Jonathan Camacho had returned the children, he was refusing to leave their less than 400-square-foot house just north of Port Lavaca. The deputy went back and forth with the couple, neither of whom was willing to stay somewhere else for the night. The deputy left after she said she was fine with her husband staying at the house and after determining there was no physical violence prior to his arrival, according to the document.

The Travis County Medical Examiner's Office determined the family died of stab wounds.

About an hour after a fire was reported at their home, where the family's bodies were discovered, Jonathan Camacho arrived at DeTar Hospital Navarro's emergency room at 5:35 a.m. The surveillance camera at Diamond Amusement Center, near the couple's home, showed his black Dodge Charger begin making the trip at 2:42 a.m. He was shirtless and bloody, according to the document.

A nurse later told law enforcement his wounds, four marks to his neck and a cut to his left wrist, were self-inflicted. She added that Camacho had a stab wound to his chest that was not deep, according to the document.

Although he posted to his Facebook page about 3 a.m. "I'm crazy," Camacho told law enforcement at the hospital he did not remember his family's death, but remembered his wife slapping him.

"He remembered laying down and falling asleep with his son and he woke up driving to Victoria 'covered in blood,'" Calhoun County Sheriff's Office Investigator David Hall wrote in the arrest-warrant affidavit. "Jonathan Camacho also stated they were fighting, they were going to get a divorce, and he 'knew in his heart he would never see his kids again.'"

Although a grand jury will convene Tuesday in Calhoun County, Camacho's case will not be among those considered, District Attorney Dan Heard said Monday.

"It will probably be at a meeting in April," he said, declining to answer further questions, such as whether it is possible Camacho could have blacked out.

Camacho's attorney, Alan Futrell, of San Antonio, said he will put together a team of experts to determine that.

"I don't know anything," Futrell said Monday. "I'm still in the dark."

Camacho remains in the Calhoun County Jail on suspicion of one count of murder and three counts of capital murder.

The State Fire Marshal's Office is still investigating what caused the fire at the couple's home in the 3000 block of Cumpean Lane.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia