Residents wonder about Port O’Connor homes, businesses

Ismael Perez By Ismael Perez

Aug. 27, 2017 at 10:37 p.m.
Updated Aug. 27, 2017 at 10:37 p.m.

A ramada and park bench flood at the Bayfront Peninsula Park....

A ramada and park bench flood at the Bayfront Peninsula Park....   Ana Ramirez/ for The Victoria Advocate

Sherry Montgomery drove in her Chevrolet Suburban through post-Harvey Port O’Connor on Saturday afternoon to check on her home at the Sanctuary at Costa Grande.

A bay house she had recently purchased.

“We bought it two weeks ago,” said the 44-year-old Houston woman. “We waited until the tornado watch was lifted to see if it was still standing or if we had to pick up a new house.”

Because of some road closures preventing people access to Port O’Connor, Montgomery was one of the people who could eased the minds of residents by letting them know about the extent of property damage after the storm.

Calhoun County Sheriff Bobbie Vickery said the road closures throughout the county were spotty because some roads have been closed off because of due to minor flooding issues and debris.

It took Montgomery four hours to get back to Houston because of all the detours and back roads she had to take to make it out of Calhoun County.

During her time in Port O’Connor, Montgomery saw her home suffered minor leaks through the doors and windows, a couple of tiles were missing from the roof and a tree was broken in half.

She said she did not see major damage throughout the town, just some flooding to some of the streets, aluminum roofs blown off and rare sightings of downed power lines.

“It looked to be minimum damage, nothing compared to Rockport,” she said. “All the buildings were still standing.”

Leigh Ann Stumfoll, manager at Froggie’s, said the bait dock was flooded with about a foot of water at noon on Saturday.

By Sunday, the water had already gone down and the staff was working to clean up the water.

She said her home in Seadrift was OK, despite the screen porch doors and part of a wall that were blown off.

Vickery said the county is currently without power and water, and it will be about two to four days before “stuff is back on.”

In the mean time, he is asking for people to have patience.

“We are doing the best we can to go to a normal situation, but it is going to take some time,” Vickery said. “So many of us are working so people can return to their home as timely and safely as possible.”



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia