Generator blamed for fire that destroyed home

Aug. 31, 2017 at 6:55 p.m.
Updated Aug. 31, 2017 at 8:42 p.m.

Fire fighters attempt to put out a fire that engulfed a Dry Creek Road home.

Fire fighters attempt to put out a fire that engulfed a Dry Creek Road home.   Olivia Vanni/ovanni@vicad.com for The Victoria Advocate

A house in Quail Creek was a total loss Thursday afternoon after it caught fire.

The Victoria County Fire Department, the Quail Creek Volunteer Fire Department, the Raisin Volunteer Fire Department and the Nursery Volunteer Fire Department responded about 5 p.m. to a report of a house fire in the 200 block of Dry Creek Road.

By the time they arrived, it was fully engulfed, Victoria County Fire Marshal Richard Castillo said.

The firefighters fought the blaze for more than a hour, dumping thousands of gallons of water on it.

At least three tankers came to deliver water. Each carries about 1,500.

Castillo said the fire happened when the homeowner was refilling a generator, and the fumes ignited. The generator was between the home and a garage, he said.

The Victoria Central Appraisal District website listed the owner as Leif A. Dahlquist and placed the value of the home at $115,380.

Castillo recommended that people let generators cool down before refueling them in an open area with good ventilation. Also, don't fill the generator to the top, he said.


SHARE


Comments


Powered By AffectDigitalMedia