100, 75, 50 and 25 years ago
July 15, 2017 at 9:36 p.m.
Updated July 15, 2017 at 9:36 p.m.
July 17 - J.E. Ryan, an undertaker of this city, was seriously burned about the arms and body in a gasoline lamp explosion Sunday night at Magnolia Beach, where he and his family are spending the summer. He was attended by Dr. Joe Reuss, of Cuero, who is also a visitor at the resort. Mr. Ryan was lighting a lamp to go floundering when the explosion occurred.
July 20 - Counting 1,000 men drafted for every number drawn, 2,500 numbers will account for 2,500,000 men, and include 315 men from Victoria County. The county will also be given credit for its volunteers, which number over 150.
July 21 - The Victoria-Calhoun Company of the Texas National Guard was mustered into state service by Maj. W.S. Holman at a late hour last night. Notwithstanding the lateness of the hour, a large number of people were present. Before the company was mustered in, there was much speechmaking and patriotic airs were played by the Victoria Municipal Band. The principal addresses were delivered by Maj. W.S. Holman, Judge Guy Mitchell, Hon. A.M. McFaddin, J.F. McCan, W.N. Fleming, and others.
July 18 - The Callender House, located at 1505 N. Moody Street and owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. L.M. Stevens, prominent Victorians, has received national recognition because of its exceptional historic and architectural interest. A document from Harold L. Ickes, Secretary of the Interior, states: "... A record of its present appearance and conditon has been made and deposited for permanent reference in the Library of Congress."
July 19 - Police officers do have a sense of humor, Mr. and Mrs. David Pribyl have learned. Dry weather not only has forced the city to request home owners to water yards on alternate days, but the cracking earth has broken a number of water lines recently. One such break occurred Monday in the yard of Mr. and Mrs. Pribyl, sending a geyser of water into the air and flooding their lawn. As they stood by helplessly and watched, a patrol car pulled up to the curb. "Is your house number odd or even?" Patrolman C.W. Chance asked. "Odd," Pribyl replied. "Well, in that case you can go ahead and water," the officer told him.
July 16 - Victoria school employees will be banned from smoking or chewing tobacco while at work next year if board members approve an anti-tobacco policy during a meeting tonight.
If approved, the anti-tobacco policy is expected to promote a more positive lifestyle among educators and make them better role models for students, according to a document from the district's Wellness Committee.
Under the policy, Victoria ISD employees would be prohibited from smoking cigarettes, cigars and pipes, and chewing or dipping tobacco while on district grounds beginning Jan. 1.
The ban proposal is the culmination of a three-year effort by the Wellness Committee to make the district tobacco-free by the end of 1992. A committee survey of district personnel in May found support for banning tobacco products in VISD. The survey showed 51 employees of the 726 who responded use tobacco products. There are about 1,750 employees in VISD.
July 22 - The chances of winning $1 million in the Texas Lottery are about 1 in 41 million, but for Jackie Toloudis, the odds have just been narrowed to one-in-seven.
Her triple "entry" ticket was one of seven chosen Tuesday by lottery officials drawing from a barrel stuffed with 70,000 entries.
Even if she doesn't win the top prize, she'll walk away with at least $10,000.