Sleep and Health: Your 3-Step Plan to Conquer Sleep Deprivation
May 22, 2017 at midnight
The power of a good night’s sleep should never be underestimated. Improving your quality (and quantity) of sleep can bolster your immune system, improve your learning efficiency, and even help you control your weight. Sadly, the majority of American adults fail to get the 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night recommended by the National Sleep Foundation. Below is a look at the key causes and three simple steps you can take to conquer sleep deprivation once and for all.
The Sad State of Our Sleep
Results of a recent sleep study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicate that over one-third of Americans are not getting enough sleep each night. The most common sleep disorders include insomnia, sleep apnea, and narcolepsy. Together, insufficient sleep and sleep disorders combine to yield the following sleep-related statistics:
- Only 1 in 7 Americans wake up feeling refreshed
- Sleep deprivation is linked to 274,000 workplace accidents every year
- The National Institute for Health (NIH) estimates that 100 million Americans will have a sleep problem by 2050
What Causes Sleep Deprivation?
There are numerous variables in the sleep deprivation equation, including lifestyle choices, daily habits, and poor sleeping conditions. While there are dozens of factors that can hinder your sleep, there are three key factors that lead to sleep deprivation among Americans:
- Failing to make sleep a priority
- Engaging in poor dietary habits
- Sleeping on an old or inadequate mattress
Your Three-Step Plan to Conquering Sleep Deprivation
The key to conquering sleep deprivation is a proactive approach that begins with your commitment to making sleep a top priority in your life. By following the three simple steps below, you will be able to enjoy the many benefits of a good night’s sleep:
- Establish a regular sleep regimen and stick to it.
- Adjust your diet to limit your evening consumption of caffeine and alcohol.
- Invest in a high-quality mattress with the latest sleep technology.
While the first two steps require your ongoing dedication and effort, your investment in a high-quality mattress is a simple, one-time step that will produce lasting benefits for years.
Seeking Guidance from an Industry Expert
Not all mattress retailers are created equal. As you prepare to buy a new mattress, you should carefully evaluate local providers like Ashley HomeStore who is an experienced mattress retailer for the past 95 years. Each team member is certified and will custom fit you with the best mattress brands and latest technology in the industry. Buying from the Ashley HomeStore ensures that you will get custom fit in the following ways:
- Showing you an entire sleep system that best fits your body type and lifestyle.
- Highlight how the latest sleep tracking technology can help improve your sleep.
- Providing sleep solutions with payment plans to fit any budget.
By working with the Ashley Homestore a trusted local mattress retailer who is committed to helping you conquer your sleep deprivation, you will wake up refreshed and can begin to experience the many benefits of a good night’s sleep