News you can use
Sept. 11, 2017 at 9:12 p.m.
Updated Sept. 11, 2017 at 6:25 p.m.
If you see something missing from the list, contact Robbi Patterson in the newsroom at 361-574-1222.
• The Symphony League style show and luncheon scheduled for Sept. 13 has been postponed until Oct. 18 because of Hurricane Harvey.
• Victoria College's Brown Bag Lunch Series has rescheduled its sessions to Sept. 29, Oct. 20 and Nov. 17.
• Adopt-A-Beach at Magnolia Beach, scheduled for Sept. 23, has been canceled. Additionally, the new restrooms at the beach are not operational after the septic system was flooded with sand. It is unknown when the facilities will reopen.
• The Victoria Public Library Book Sale, scheduled for Sept. 11-16, has been canceled
• The Victoria Czech Festival, scheduled for Sept. 24, is canceled because of storm damage to the Victoria Community Center.
• The Victoria Community Theatre's "Boeing Boeing" performance has been rescheduled from Sept 14-17 to Jan. 18-21.
• Victoria Symphony's first performance of its master series called "The Undisputed Masters" that was scheduled for Sept. 16 has been postponed until March 24.
• The start date for the adult sports fall leagues is postponed. Check the Victoria Parks and Recreation Facebook page for information and updates regarding fall leagues and registrations.
- Family Dollar, North Street and Ben Jordan Street
- Faststop, Dalmar and Lone Tree Road
- Bayside Searfood, Navarro Street
- J.C. Pennys, 8106 N Navarro St.
- Sky Restaurant, 236 Foster Field Drive
- 7-11, 100 S Shepley St., Bloomington
- Harbor Freight, 3605 N. Navarro St.
- Hungry Jacks Thirsty, 1209 E Airline Road
- Vera Cruz, 3110 N Navarro St.
- The Pumphouse, 1201 W Stayton Ave.
- Crossroads Feed Store,Crossroads Feed Store
- Elite Cleaners, 2809 N Laurent St
- Burger King, 8501 N Navarro St.
- Charlie's Donuts, 1406 E Rio Grande St.
- Petsmart, 7812 NE Zac Lentz Parkway
- Jack In The Box, both locations
- Barkett's, 321 Broadway Ave., Seadrift
- Conoco, Delmar and Lonetree Road
- Paradise Burgers, 607 S Laurent St.
- Texas Drivers License Office, 8802 N Navarro St.
- The Fairfield Inn, 7502 N Navarro St.
- General Dollar, Mockingbird Lane
- LaQuinta Inns and Suites, 3107 S Laurent S.
- Family Dollar, North St.
- Advance America,3805 N Navarro St.
- Bealls, 121 Calhoun Plaza, Port Lavaca
- Bayside Seafood, 2055 Texas 35, Port Lavaca
- KFC, 1010 E Rio Grande St.
- Baymont Hotel, 308 Park Heights, Cuero
- The Wellhead Tavern, 23404 NW Zac Lentz Parkway
- Victoria Ag and Ranch Store, 1410 SW Moody St.
- All About the Dress, 13955 US-77
- Trinity Shores, 201 Trinity Shores Drive, Port Lavaca
- Victoria Residence and Rehab, 114 Medical Drive
- Victoria Family Eye Care, 6380 N Navarro St.
- Marble Slab, 6362 N Navarro St.
- Jade and Madalynn's, 601 E Rio Grande St.
- Ace Hardware, 1207 N Wheeler St.
- Starbucks, 7105 N Navarro St.
- El Taco, 711 W Main St., Port Lavaca
- Lacks, 3607 N. Navarro St.
• Yoga Chicks, temporary location open at 2505 Bon Aire St.
• Bliss Bridal and Formal Wear, 1107 Salem Road
Harrison, Waldrop and Uherek, 101 S. Main St.
• Kliem and Associates, 5606 N. Navarro St.
• ServPro of Victoria, 13680 U.S. 77 N.
• Unifirst, 1201 N. John Stockbauer Drive
• Walker, Keeling, 101 S. Main St.
• Wholesale Electric, 1210 Sam Houston Drive
• Crossroads Mechanical, 508 E. Crestwood Drive
• Gulf Coast Feed, 2410 Port Lavaca Drive.
• Surplus Warehouse, 5001 Houston Highway. For more information, call 361-579-6400.
• Zarsky Lumber Co., 604 E. Rio Grande St.
• Victoria Blue Print, 305 N. Laurent St., is open at 9 a.m.
• James Teleco for telephone repair, call them at 361-574-9644, 800-551-6043 or 361-277-8961.
• DE Webworks call David Arnold, at 361-575-7656 or toll free at 800-759-3670.
• The Office, 4611 E. Airline Drive, Suite 202, has office space with phone and internet service available for use for businesses that need temporary space. Contact them at 361-571-7731.
• Rapid Printing and Design, 1708 N. Navarro St.
• Victoria Mall is open, operating on normal business hours. Some tenants remain closed.
• Walmarts, all locations.
• McCoy's Building Supply, 5803 Zac Lentz Parkway.
• Target, 7608 N.E. Zac Lentz Parkway
• Best Buy, 7800 N. Navarro St., No. 145.
• Office Depot, 5106 N. Navarro St., is open.
• Metal Supply, 5292 SH 185 S. is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
• Anderson Smith, Null and Stofer, 700 One O'Connor Plaza
• Crossroads Title Company, 104 S. Main and 6316 N. Navarro streets
• Crossroads Vending, 107 John Stockbauer Drive
• Elegant Limousine and Charter, 1508 N. Ben Jordan St.
• Filley Law Firm, 214 S. Main St., second floor
• Fishers Auto Sales, 1302 Sam Houston Drive
• Fountain of Youth Medical Spa, 6234 N. Navarro
• Senior Helpers. For more information or assistance, call 361-894-8901, 24 hours a day.
• Frost Insurance, 6835, N. Main St.
• Heritage Mark, 5606 N. Navarro, Suite 200
• Outlaw Offroad of Texas, 3701 John Stockbauer Drive
• Sherwin Williams Paint, both locations
• Toyota of Victoria, 5902 N. Navarro St.
• Unique HR, 5606 N. Navarro St.
• Victoria Country Club, 14 Spring Creek Road
• Victoria Insurance Group, 2014 John Stockbauer Drive
• Victoria Oliver Company, 2303 N. Main St.
• Positively-Batteries, 3908 Houston Highway
• Discount Tire, all locations
• Pure Fitness, 311 E. Mockingbird Lane
• Truax Water Well Services, 576 Carefree Drive
• Carpet Handlers, 1509 Port Lavaca Drive
• Ashley HomeStore, 5201 N. Navarro St.
• Bedbutler's Furniture, 4002 N. Navarro St.
• Verizon, 8706 N. Navarro St.
• Superior Carports, 3409 Houston Highway
• AdMark, 3904 John Stockbauer Drive Suite 114
• Advocate Digital Media, 4611 E. Airline Road, Suite 200
• All American Awards, 4502 Lilac Lane, Suite B
• AT&T at Whispering Creek, 6308 N. Navarro St.
• Atzenhoffer, 3211 N. Navarro St.
• Barbara Bauer Briggs Family YMCA, 1806 N. Nimitz Ave.
• Baymont Hotel and Suites, 8107 N.E. Zac Lentz Parkway
• Ben E. Keith, 5505 Kaepa Court
• Best Western, 8106 N.E. Zac Lentz Parkway
• Billy T. Cattan Recovery Outreach, 1908 N. Laurent St., Suite 120
• BioMat, USA, 1909 E. Red River St.
• Budget Binds, 8806 N. Navarro St., Suite 500
• Bumgardner Morrison and Company, 1501 E. Mockingbird Lane, Suite 300
• Cactus Canyon, 3613 N. Navarro St.
• Central Drug, 6104 N. Navarro St.
• City Mortgage Group, 3606 B. John Stockbauer Drive
• Cole, Easley, Sciba and Williams, 302 W. Forrest St.
• Days Gone Bye, 508 N. Moody St.
• Dr. Frank Henry, 909 N. Navarro St.
• Farmers Insurance, 3606 A. John Stockbauer Drive
• Great Clips, 6902 N. Navarro St. Suite 100
• Greg Spears Realty, 2204 E. Airline St.
• Ground Guys, 2410 Port Lavaca Drive
• Homewood Suites by Hilton, 6705 N.E. Zac Lentz Parkway
• JHC Insurance Agency, Inc. 4611 E. Airline Road, Suite 102
• Jung Tile and Granite, 5208 Zac Lentz Parkway
• Keller and Associates, 101 S. Main St., Suite 300
• Re/MAX Land and Home, 5215 N. Navarro St.
• Reclamation Counseling Center, 506 Glascow St.
• Service Supply of Victoria, 16012 Zac Lentz Parkway
• South Star Wealth Management, One O'Connor Plaza
• SportClips Haircuts, 8806 N. Navarro St.
• The Club at Colony Creek, 301 Colony Creek Drive
• The UPS Store, both locations
• United Rentals, 12104 N. Navarro St.
• Aldi at Sam Houston Drive and Navarro Street
• H-E-B, all locations
• Sam's Club, 9202 N. Navarro St.
• Telferner Grocery and Market, 202 Wood St.
• Walgreens, all locations
• Rogers Pharmacy, both locations
• CVS, 2702 N. Navarro St.
• Central Drug, 3802 N. Laurent St.
• The driver's license office in Victoria is closed until further notice. The office sustained flood damage and electrical issues during Hurricane Harvey. If you need to get your driver's license renewed or need to take a driving test, visit one of the driver's license office locations in the surrounding area: Port Lavaca, 201 W. Austin St., Port Lavaca; 208 E. Live Oak St., Cuero; or 412 Texana St., Hallettsville.
• Texas A&M Agrilife Extension-Victoria County office has been temporarily moved to the Victoria County 4-H Activity Center, 259 Bachelor Drive (Victoria Regional Airport). The office's phone number is the same, 361-575-4581.
• Dr. Frederick Lykes' medical office, 303 E. Airline Road, will be closed indefinitely because of damages caused by Hurricane Harvey. Patients can still send their bill payments to the office address.
• Wharton Field Office has been closed. The regular phone number is still functioning, 979-532-0077 ext. 3.
• Yoga Chicks, is temporarily relocated at 2505 Bon Aire St. Gentle Yoga, 11 a.m. Wednesdays; Yoga Basics, 5:45 p.m. Wednesdays
VICTORIA PUBLIC LIBRARY
• The Victoria Library reopens Wednesday. Library hours Sept. 13-15, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The library will resume it's regular hours starting Monday. Visit victoriatx.org/departments/library for updates.
• Book drops are open at Main Street on the side of the library, Victoria Health Department on Airline Drive side and at the Victoria Mall on Navarro Street at Sears
• Reserve books for pickup when the library opens by calling 361-485-3302
• Ebooks are available with OverDrive. Call 361-485-3302 for help setting up your account, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m weekdays.
• A telephone hotline has been set up by the Texas Education Agency for parents in the Victoria area to receive updates regarding public education announcements following Hurricane Harvey. Parents in the Victoria area can call 512-463-9603 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily for up-to-date information on public education options and enrollment information for students.
BUSINESSES THAT ARE STILL CLOSED (According to social media)
• The VC/UHV Library invites the community to use its resources while the Victoria Public Library is closed. Stop by the VC/UHV Library, 2602 N. Ben Jordan St., to charge mobile devices, use computers, check email and get internet access. The VC/UHV Library is also offering copying services free of charge to residents. The library is open from 7:45 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday; from 7:45 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday; and from 1-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday For more information, call 361-570-4166.
PARKS/COMMUNITY CENTER CLOSED
• All 16 parks in the city of Victoria are closed until further notice. Although Riverside Park remains closed following Hurricane Harvey, the Victoria Parks & Recreation Office is open and can be reached by calling 361-485-3200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
VICTORIA COMMUNITY CENTER
• All Community Center reservations for the month of September have been canceled. Reservations will be rescheduled or refunded.
For FEMA local job opportunities, go to workintexas.com, which is the Texas Workforce Commission website for jobs. First register for jobs on the site, then search for FEMA when doing a job search. FEMA benefits from hiring people who know the territory well. These are temporary jobs but often last several months or even longer.
The Victoria Advocate, for a limited time, is offering 14 days of free online-only Classifieds to post your situation and to help you recover. You may post lost or found items such as pets or valuables as well as offered or wanted items such as phones, computers and devices, housing, etc. Visit Crossroadsfinder.com/recovery to place your ad.
• A FEMA Disaster Recovery Center is in Victoria at the Dr. Pattie Dodson Public Health Center, 2805 N. Navarro St. The center is open from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. daily. FEMA is recommending people apply online at DisasterAssistance.gov or call 1-800-621-3362.
• FEMA Disaster Recovery Center open at Calhoun County Library, 200 W. Mahan St., Port Lavaca. Open 7 a.m.-7 p.m. daily.
• FEMA Mobile Disaster Recovery Center now open at 911 Navigation Circle, Rockport. Available 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, as needed.
• FEMA Mobile Disaster Recovery Center is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m daily, at Edna High School Football Stadium, 1303 West Gayle St. in Edna.
• Spraying for mosquitoes continues daily about 8 p.m. across the city of Victoria. Spraying is done in the evening and early morning hours. If you are outside when the fogging truck approaches, go inside until the truck passes and the fog subsides. Residents can help with mosquito control by emptying storm debris and other things such as old tires, bird baths, potted plants and clogged rain gutters that may be holding water that creates a prime breeding place for the pests.