Memory Gardens of Edna receives historic designation
Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:06 p.m.
Editor, the Advocate:
Memory Gardens of Edna Inc., a 21-acre cemetery, after several years of research and mailing to the state, documentation of old graves and sending pictures of old markers, is proud to announce that it has been designated as a "Historic Texas Cemetery." In order for a cemetery to be designated as historic, the cemetery must be at least 50 years old.
The cemetery was originally called the Prairie City White Cemetery, named this since its location was on a prairie. In 1954, the name was changed to Memory Gardens of Edna Inc.
The oldest grave belongs to 2-year-old Mary Elizabeth Gayle, daughter of Alexander Talferia and Frances Agnes Sutherland Gayle. She was born in 1853 and died in 1855. The Gayle family is a prominent pioneer family that settled in Jackson County during the Republic of Texas.
The cemetery also has soldiers buried from the Spanish-American War, Confederate soldiers, World War II veterans and more than 800 veterans from various branches of service.
In 2016, through the Texana Arts Council and Roy Ortolon, Memory Gardens was able to place a grave marker for Lucy Dever Flournoy, "The Mother of Edna," whose grave was never marked. She was buried more than 98 years ago.
There are no perks to being a Historic Cemetery, other than the prestige of being designated as historic. The Historic Commission does not furnish the historic markers. Those are purchased at a cost to the cemetery.
Memory Gardens is a perpetual care, nonprofit cemetery, which is controlled by state laws. The cemetery is run by a board of seven directors, all of whom are volunteers.
Jo Ann Blanar, Memory Gardens of Edna Inc. board president, Edna