Despite having found nothing so far, investigators are convinced foul play is involved in the disappearance of a 25-year-old Seadrift woman.

“We have a missing person who shouldn’t be missing,” said Chief Deputy Johnny Krause, of the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office. “We assume something bad has happened, or she would have shown up already.”

Monday, authorities continued their search for Suzie Escobedo, who went missing from her Seadrift mobile home Thursday, leaving behind her cellphone, keys and a 4-month-old daughter. While authorities have since broadened their search, which Krause described as “very large,” to include the entire county, they are also simultaneously conducting an investigation into Escobedo’s disappearance.

“Common sense would dictate she did not leave of her own free will,” Krause said.

In an attempt to protect any evidence inside, sheriff’s office investigators, who are assisted by a Texas Ranger, have seized Escobedo’s mobile home, which was parked on Loop Road outside Seadrift. They also have collected forensic samples, including fingerprints, and sent them for testing, which could take considerable time, Krause said.

“Every minute that passes makes us sadder and more determined to find her,” the chief deputy said.

After working through the weekend, searchers and investigators were joined Monday by the Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team, a nonprofit that specializes in finding missing people. That group accepted an invitation to assist from a family member of Escobedo’s, Krause said.

According to the group’s website, Texas EquuSearch has participated in more than 1,800 searches. The organization states it has never compromised an investigation.

“They are the best at what they do,” Krause said.

The group planned to continue the search Tuesday morning, according to its website.

“We need as many ATVs and ATV riders as possible along with foot searchers,” the site states.

And a Facebook group dubbed “Find Suzie Escobedo” put a call out for drone pilots to assist.

Krause said investigators are frustrated with the lack of information, but they are still asking for help from the public. Although word of the missing woman has been shared thousands of times on social media, he said, investigators have yet to receive one “substantial” tip.

Nevertheless, authorities continue their work.

“We are hoping something will unlock the door,” he said.

Jon Wilcox reports on courts for the Victoria Advocate. He may be reached jwilcox@vicad.com or 361-580-6515.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.
0
0
0
0
0

Jon covers crime, public safety and the courts at the Victoria Advocate. Born in Huntsville, Ala., he grew up in Atlanta, Ga. and obtained a bachelor's degree in journalism at Texas State University.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Transparency. Your full name is required.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article. And receive photos, videos of what you see.
Don’t be a troll. Don’t be a troll. Don’t post inflammatory or off-topic messages, or personal attacks.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.

To subscribe, click here. Already a subscriber? Click here.