Smoke reported at a Victoria bank

Firefighters were dispatched to a Victoria bank at 701 Sam Houston Drive on Thursday morning after an air conditioning unit filled the bank with smoke.

An air conditioning malfunction filled a Victoria bank with smoke Thursday morning.

At 9:43 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to the Victoria Federal Credit Union, 701 Sam Houston Drive, said Battalion Chief Jeff Cowan, of the Victoria Fire Department.

No one was injured. No significant damage resulted, he said.  

About 10 a.m., the bank had cleared of smoke although a distinct odor remained inside.

At that time, employees were unsure whether the bank would remain open for the day.

Cowan said air conditioning units are often overworked during hot summer months, adding he recommended regular filter changes and maintenance to avoid fires.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Jon covers crime, public safety and the courts at the Victoria Advocate. Born in Huntsville, Ala., he grew up in Atlanta, Ga. and obtained a bachelor's degree in journalism at Texas State University.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Transparency. Your full name is required.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article. And receive photos, videos of what you see.
Don’t be a troll. Don’t be a troll. Don’t post inflammatory or off-topic messages, or personal attacks.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.

To subscribe, click here. Already a subscriber? Click here.