Investigators say a motel-room fire that critically injured a Yorktown man last week was probably an accident.
DeWitt County Sheriff Carl Bowen said the State Fire Marshal’s Office investigation determined the fire at White Top Motel, 436 E. Main St. in Yorktown, was not the result of foul play.
Although the investigation remains ongoing, accelerant-sniffing dogs found no trace of fuel at the motel, he said. Officials also have conducted numerous interviews.
Bowen said the investigation might conclude as early as Friday.
“We’re almost there,” he said.
As of Monday, Chad Broll, the 42-year-old Yorktown man injured in the fire, remained in critical condition at Brooke Army Military Medical Center in San Antonio.
Broll was hospitalized with burns after firefighters found his motel room fully engulfed in fire about 3:30 a.m. Thursday.