About 15 homes were temporarily evacuated Thursday night on Loma Vista Avenue because of a gas leak, said Andrew Goss, an engineer with the Victoria Fire Department.
Victoria firefighters blocked off the 1700 block of Loma Vista Avenue after a tree branch fell on a natural gas line leading to Crain Elementary School, 2706 N. Azalea St., Goss said.
The leak was reported at 8:05 p.m., and the homes downwind from the leak were evacuated as a precaution, said Battalion Chief Clifton Bayer of the Victoria Fire Department.
The leak was shut off and Loma Vista Avenue reopened at 8:57 p.m.
No one was injured as a result of the gas leak, Bayer said.
Crain Elementary School is part of the Victoria Independent School District’s Summer Cafe program, funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It provides free breakfast and lunch weekdays to children under 18 during the summer.
Shawna Currie, a spokeswoman for VISD, said the program would continue Friday because the menu items did not require heat to prepare.