As festivities and celebrations take place nationwide to commemorate the Fourth of July, Crossroads-area residents will gather at events around the region to celebrate nearly 250 years of our country’s independence.
Are you going to watch a fireworks celebration on July 4?
To commemorate the day with friends and family, many residents are expected to flock to the Fourth of July Miller Lite Blastoff at the Victoria Community Center grounds, 2905 E. North St. The annual event will include family-friendly live music, food trucks, drinks and a 20-plus-minute fireworks show put on by Zambelli International Fireworks. The event is from 6 to 11 p.m., and the fireworks show begins at 9:30 p.m.
Another event celebrating the holiday is the Veterans Appreciation Picnic at Patriot Park, 1867 Fordyce Road, from 4 to 8 p.m. The event is open to the public and a $5 meal deal – a hamburger or hot dog with chips and a drink – is free for veterans and first responders and their families with proper identification. Along with the food, the event will have live music and many activities for kids. Guests are encouraged to bring chairs, blankets and fireworks, which they can light starting at 8 p.m.
- The 11th annual H-E-B Plus! Fourth of July Parade in Victoria, 9 a.m., line-up begins at 8:30 a.m., for ages 1 to 12 years to decorate their bicycles, tricycles and wagons in celebration of the holiday. No motorized vehicles are allowed for the safety of the children, and children ages 4 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Entry forms to participate were due by Wednesday. The event is at the H-E-B Plus! parking lot, 6106 N. Navarro St.
- CUERO – the July 4th Cuero Community Celebration, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Cuero City park. Activities include patriotic parade, activities for children, including game booths, face-painting, balloon animals and a cake walk. Pet Adoptions of Cuero will have “smooch the pooch” and “puppy kisses” booths, and donations will benefit the nonprofit. Fireworks will begin at about 9 p.m. at the park.
- TIVOLI – A Fourth of July Celebration benefiting the Tivoli Volunteer Fire Department, 10:30 a.m. at Lions Park on Old Austwell Road, includes free parade and hamburger lunch.
- PALACIOS – At East Bay Park, 11 a.m., flag-raising ceremony, barbecue lunch provided by the Knights of Columbus; 1 p.m., food, vendor booths and the carnival will open; 3 p.m., bingo, helicopter rides and the VFW washers tournament, bingo will continue until 9 p.m.; 6 p.m., La Salle Landing Re-enactment; 9:30 p.m. Palacios Lions Club fireworks show.
- PORT LAVACA – Star Spangled Bay Bash at Bayfront Peninsula Park, 501 E. Main St., 3-10 p.m., free event, includes live music, a watermelon-eating contest and a fireworks show at 9:30 p.m. Vendors will provide a variety of food and beverages. Guests are encouraged to bring lawn chairs. Outside drinks and ice chests are not allowed. Event sponsor, city of Port Lavaca, fireworks show sponsor, Port Lavaca Auto Group.
- GOLIAD – Downtown Summerfest, downtown Goliad, 1-9 p.m., includes water slides, water dodgeball and a watermelon-eating contest; Show and Shine Car Show 1-6 p.m; live music by Southern Drive Band from 6-9 p.m. Food trucks will sell a variety of foods, arts and crafts vendors will sell arts and crafts, clothing, jewelry and other wares; Goliad Pet Adoption will have a booth.
- VICTORIA – The Aero Crafters 4th of July Party, 309 E. Crestwood Drive, 4 p.m., drink specials 4-7 p.m., variety of games throughout the evening; 8 p.m.-midnight, live music. The food truck will be available. The celebration is open only to guests ages 21 and older starting at 10 p.m.
- GOLIAD – GBRA Red, White and Boom! fireworks show at dusk at Coleto Creek Park in Victoria, 365 Coleto Park Road. The event is being sponsored by Luminant Coleto Creek Power. Entrance to the park is $12 per vehicle, and Goliad residents enter free after 7 p.m.
- SHINER – The Shiner Half Moon Holidays, Green Dickson Park. From 3 p.m. to midnight Friday, Shiner’s on Sixth Beer Garden, the Shiner General Store, arts and crafts vendors, a barbecue cook-off, live music, food vendors and events in the Kid’s Fun Zone. The Emotions will perform at 7 p.m.; admission for the evening show is $15 for minors and free for adults 21 and older. Saturday, the downtown parade begins at 10 a.m. with booths and activities opening at noon; kids’ fishing tournament, which is $10, starts at 1 p.m.; duck races, at 2 p.m.; live music throughout the day; 4 p.m. washer tournament; 9:30 p.m., Spoetzl Brewery Fireworks Spectacular.; Departure ATX will play at 10 p.m., $15 entry fee.
- EDNA – The Brackenridge Independence Day Celebration and Fireworks, Brackenridge Park and Campground, 891 Brackenridge Parkway, 9 a.m. Free, daylong event; includes antique tractor show, a kiddie tractor pull, a ride’em-push’em-pull’em parade, a hot dog-eating contest, a watermelon-eating contest, a family obstacle course and more; 9 p.m. the fireworks show.
- PORT O’CONNOR – The Port O’Connor Fireworks Display, 10 a.m. at King Fisher Beach; food and merchandise from various vendors. 9 p.m. fireworks show.