A house fire started Sunday evening after a family cooked dinner at their home at the intersection of De Leon and Commercial streets.
Owner Hillory Carrigan, 48, said her family began to smell smoke after returning inside from cooking on their outdoor grill.
All family members and pets were safely evacuated from the house. A firefighter suffered from possible heat exhaustion while responding to the fire and was transported by ambulance.
Carrigan has lived in the home with her husband and three children for about 10 years.
The fire originated from the grill, which was against the side of the house, Victoria Fire Department Battalion Chief Jeff Cowan said.
The old house’s design contributed to the fire’s rapid spread to the attic, where smoke was pouring through the eaves as firefighters arrived, he said
“They have what they call balloon construction, which basically means that the rafters on the inside of the wall just go straight up,” Cowan said. “There’s no fire breaks anywhere in there. Once a fire gets into those voids, it moves pretty quick.”
The house was not destroyed, but the extent of the damage is not known yet.