A house fire started Sunday evening after a family cooked dinner at their home at the intersection of De Leon and Commercial streets.

Owner Hillory Carrigan, 48, said her family began to smell smoke after returning inside from cooking on their outdoor grill.

All family members and pets were safely evacuated from the house. A firefighter suffered from possible heat exhaustion while responding to the fire and was transported by ambulance.

Carrigan has lived in the home with her husband and three children for about 10 years.

The fire originated from the grill, which was against the side of the house, Victoria Fire Department Battalion Chief Jeff Cowan said.

The old house’s design contributed to the fire’s rapid spread to the attic, where smoke was pouring through the eaves as firefighters arrived, he said

“They have what they call balloon construction, which basically means that the rafters on the inside of the wall just go straight up,” Cowan said. “There’s no fire breaks anywhere in there. Once a fire gets into those voids, it moves pretty quick.”

The house was not destroyed, but the extent of the damage is not known yet.

Morgan is the business reporter for the Victoria Advocate. She can be reached at (361) 580-6328, mohanlon@vicad.com or @mcohanlon.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.
0
0
1
1
0

Morgan covers business for the Victoria Advocate. She was born and raised in Austin, Texas and received her bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Texas at Austin.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Transparency. Your full name is required.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article. And receive photos, videos of what you see.
Don’t be a troll. Don’t be a troll. Don’t post inflammatory or off-topic messages, or personal attacks.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.

To subscribe, click here. Already a subscriber? Click here.