RIO GRANDE CITY, Texas (AP) - A county commissioner has pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor counts in a Texas voter fraud investigation.Starr County Commissioner Raul "Roy" Pena Jr. must serve six months of probation and pay a $500 fine.The Monitor of McAllen reported Thursday that Pena pleaded no contest to illegally returning a marked ballot and to improperly mailing another voter's ballot.Pena, who wasn't up for re-election during the March primary, on Feb. 26 drew scrutiny when he arrived at a Rio Grande City post office with 56 mail-in ballots.Texas law requires anyone who provides assistance to a voter to sign the outside of the ballot's envelope.Pena did not immediately comment. Pena attorney Rene Montalvo said he was not authorized to speak on the commissioner's behalf.___Information from: The Monitor, http://www.themonitor.com
Click any reaction to login.
Thank you for reading!
Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.
We have used your information to see if you have a subscription with us, but did not find one. Please use the button below to verify an existing account or to purchase a new subscription.
Your current subscription does not provide access to this content. Please use the button below to manage your account.
To report any error or need for clarification, please call 361-574-1222.
- Correction: COVID-19 testing site is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday
- Correction: Congressman has filed bills to protect against abortion and to create federal sunset commission
- Clarification: Truck driver passing in no passing zone
- Clarificaiton: Northside Baptist School offers classes through to fifth grade
- Correction: Victoria Duck Safari
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- After 74 years, Hartman Distributing is sold
- About 40 cars parade through Victoria in support of Joe Biden
- Emergency SNAP benefits announced statewide
- Out of Work in America: Navigating an unemployment crisis in face of pandemic
- Calhoun pulls out wild 77-76 win over CC Miller
- Marriage licenses Oct. 9-15
- Pets of the week: Basset hound mix has plenty of love to share
- Wind farms become operational in Matagorda, Refugio counties
- Horoscope for October 25
- Cheering for the Battle of the Boot